Saturday, February 04, 2017

My First Business Venture – Age 6



My first business venture was in 1940 when I was six years old. I learned to read when I was 4 and spent all my 6d per week pocket money on books from Miss Bennett’s. (Explanation of the pre-decimalisation money and Miss Bennett tomorrow.) All was well until when I was totally spent up and spotted one copy of a book I really wanted – price 1/11. It would take me 4 weeks to save up. So I devised a plan. I had seen my mother buying brushes, polish and things from men carrying big suitcases. I had an old Grandpa’s old Gladstone bag to play with. I filled it with old crayons, sticks of chalk, marbles and any other bits and pieces I could find. Looking as ingenuous as possible I explained that I wanted to show the bag to my teacher and took it to school with me. There I did a roaring trade selling my bits and pieces for farthings, ha’pennies (halfpennies) and pennies at break time. By the end of the day I had my 1/11 – and an invitation to the headmistress’s room.
She pointed out that she didn’t think it was a good idea to sell things to my friends and she was sure my Mummy and Daddy would agree with her. If I didn’t do it again we wouldn’t say any more about it. I didn’t and she kept her word. My parents never heard of my crime. But there were repercussions! More tomorrow.
Interested in making some extra money? Go to http://www.kleeneze.com/distributors/2449/MRS-THEODORA-COCHRANE?returnUrl=/ and visit ‘Earn Money’ .

No comments: